Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer fun

Ah summer, the most beautiful time of the year in our PNW harbor town. Last night was the first of this summer's concert in the park. Lawn chairs were being left in the park starting in the early afternoon. I saw some quilts left on the ground, too. (Gasp!) This is a relatively safe place to leave your belongings, but a quilt? :-)

A new skatepark opened a few towns away and Jack loves it. He took a good spill and has a "concrete tattoo" under his eye. It's all part of the fun. He wears elbow and knee pads and a helmet - but no cheek pad! We had a day of skating with his skater friends hitting 5 parks in the Seattle area. It was lots of fun!

His skateboard quilt is almost done. I've quilted it throughout on my machine and now I'm hand stitching around each board. The binding is ready. We took his newest skater friend some tall socks and a skate brand hat as a birthday gift for his recent slumber party. I made the pillow case in the first photo to put the gifts in. The boy was on Jack's baseball team so we combined baseball and skateboarding in his pillow case. Another boy on the team wants to start skateboarding with Jack, too. I love it that Jack's enthusiasm for skating carries over to his friends.

Mitch is looking so old! He grows a beard better than many "men" I know!

My month to receive blocks from the other gals in my sewing bee is just around the corner. (August) I am thinking about posting a tutorial here for the skateboard block and having that be the bee block in girly colors for this skater Mom. That could be fun! Anyone want a tutorial on a skateboard quilt? As my good friend Kristasaid - it could become the latest Katy Jonesquilt along!! Ok, now I'm dreaming!!!

Oh wait! We need a picture or two of Duke!

<3. Kris

2 comments:

  1. The skateboard quilt is totally awesome!! Great pillowcase gift too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lucy! It's a quilt top that is actually turning into a finished quilt! Say what?!! The things we do for our kids.

    ReplyDelete